The key to eating healthy isn’t eating things that taste like grass and bark…..although that probably works too. For me, the key to maintaining healthy eating is to eat the foods I love but in a healthier way. My mom used to make the most delicious Shepard’s Pie when I was a kid and I was craving it. So instead of indulging, I made a way to make it healthy.
Here is a not so informative but quite entertaining video of the “making of” this recipe:
Now that you have gotten a laugh, here is the recipe.
1 whole head of cauliflower
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup carrots
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound lean ground turkey (93 percent)
1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 packet of brown gravy
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
Healthy Shepard’s Pie Recipe
- Take your head of cauliflower and break off the florets.
- Steam the florets of cauliflower in a steamer until they are super soft
- Combine broccoli, peas and carrots and steam separately in their own steaming device.
- While cauliflower is steaming, begin sautéing onion and garlic in a 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Once the onion and garlic are browned, add ground turkey meat and frozen riced cauliflower.
- Once cauliflower is soft, transfer the soft florets into a food processor or blender. (I use a vitamin)
- Add milk, butter and a dash of salt and blend until cauliflower is smooth
- begin making gravy according to packet instructions.
- Once gravy is done, add it to the turkey mixture and coat well with the gravy
- In a large casserole dish (I used a dish around 8 x 14), add the turkey mixture to the bottom of the dish.
- Add the steamed broccoli, carrot and peas on top of the meat mixture.
- Layer smooth cauliflower on top of the vegetables and speard so they are well covered.
- Cover in cheese and put into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Remove from over and serve!!
Want to skip the grocery store and get all the ingredients delivered to your door?
Sign up for Amazon Fresh
And then you can order all of the the ingredients for this recipe and have them delivered to your front door.